Monday, September 5, 2011

You saw it here first


You'll never guess what this is.  It may look like an old door, but it's actually a card rack (minus the paint for the stand, and the acrylic J-trays that will be screwed on at the end.  David is busy making the stands out of plywood in the garage, then we'll paint them a matching color, and I am going to make sand bags out of vintage fabric to make them more stable.  I am pretty sure we are the first people to do this.  I could be wrong, but it seems likely.  So, if you see these somewhere else in a couple years, you know the idea started right here.

We actually have 3 of these old doors, and the other 2 are cooler.  One has glass panes and a brass backplate with a glass doorknob, and the other has a curved top and multiple colors of paint showing.

I've been working on fixing this necklace I got at a flea market, that was broken in several places.  I replaced the string with silk string and just sort of fixed it up.  It's pretty cute.


We also got some things from a guy going out of business (old wood salvage) in Orange.  The place was pretty interesting, filled with old wood precariously stored on two levels in a rickety old building.  We got a bench, an old milk crate, and a gate.  I think we're going to make a table out of the gate, because it's a nice color, and nice old wood (tongue and groove).



I waxed both the bench and the gate 3 times already, and I think I am going to add a few more coats.  It really makes a nice finish.  In fact, I think I am going to try the wax out on the old antique door in front of the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment